I was inspired to create this list by Jenny over at Breakfast at Lilly’s, whose list was full of #girlboss things to be completed in 1001 days. As a self-described listaholic, I am so excited to see where this project takes me!
From the Day Zero Project, where this challenge originated:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
Tasks must be specific (i.e. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (i.e. represent some amount of work on your part).
Why 1001 days?
Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple challenges such as New Year’s resolutions or a ‘Bucket List’. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips, study semesters, or outdoor activities.
Official start date: January 1, 2017
Official end date: September 29, 2019
- Read 50 books. (1. Dangerous Women by Roxane Gay; 2. All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda; 3. Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly)
Try a new recipe.(“One Pan” Baked Ziti)
- Try 15 new restaurants. (1. Olazzo in Silver Spring, MD; 2. The Tomato Head in Knoxville, TN; Wild Love Bakehouse in Knoxville, TN)
Go on a trip alone.(Washington, D.C. during Spring Break 2017!)
- Go to Europe.
- Travel to a new state.
- Go to at least 2 concerts.
- Purge my belongings of things that do not bring me joy.
- See 30 new movies. (1. Hidden Figures; 2. The Zookeeper’s Wife; 3. Going in Style; 4. Jackie; 5. Moonlight; 6. The Accountant)
- Go to bed every night at 10 pm for at least 2 weeks.
- Splurge on a classic pair of shoes.
- Visit 5 new cities.
- See a Broadway play.
- Reconnect with an old friend.
- Attend Mardi Gras.
- Move to a new city.
- Learn something new.
- Befriend a stranger.
- Go to Epcot.
- Attend the Kentucky Derby.
- Go without eating out for a month.
- Attend a conference.
- Save $5,000.
- Create a retirement fund.
- Go to New York City for New Year’s Eve.
- Go to a midnight movie premiere.
- Go on a road trip.
- Randomly send someone flowers.
- Try every bath bomb from Lush.
- Try at least 3 new foods.
- Make a bar cart.
- Become financially independent.
- Do something spontaneous.
Pay for the Starbucks order of the person behind me in line.
- Get another tattoo.
- Meet a celebrity.
- Get my nose pierced.
- Watch all of the Harry Potter movies in sequential order.
- Re-read all of the Harry Potter books in sequential order.
- Go to a St. Louis Cardinals game.
- Attend a taping of Ellen.
- Answer 50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind.
- Send snail mail birthday cards to 10 friends.
- Go on a segue tour.
- Leave a 100% tip.
- Bake something from scratch.
- Have a professional photo shoot.
- Host a dinner party.
- Purchase a piece of original artwork.
- Attend a NYFW show.
- Go sailing.
- Take someone out for a dinner date.
- Get a psychic reading.
- Attend a festival.
- Give 20 “just because” gifts.
- Have a “pinch me” moment.
- Write a letter to myself to be opened on my 30th birthday.
- Get a live Christmas tree.
- Buy a Mac desktop.
- Organize a drive (food, toys, etc.)
- Pay for someone’s meal at a restaurant.
- Give a speech.
- Surprise someone.
- Adopt a dog.
- Visit 15 museums. (1. National Archives, 2. Smithsonian Museum of American History, 3. Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, 4. Newseum)
- Go to a wine tasting.
- Unplug completely for 24 hours.
- Vote in an non-presidential election.
- Do something dangerous.
Become a brand affiliate.
- Get a big girl job.
- Visit a tailor for clothing alterations.
- Buy a KitchenAid stand mixer.
- Take a mixology class.
- Grow [ a sip of my coffee ] to 100 subscribers.
- Live somewhere with an extra bedroom.
- Stay in a bungalow in Bora Bora/Tahiti.
- Go on a girls trip.
- Give my phone number to a cute stranger.
- Take a ballroom dancing lesson.
- Make something and sell it.
- Go camping.
- Try surfing.
- Meet a blog friend in person.
- Create a holy grail favorites list.
Visit Tera in Washington, D.C.(YIPPEE! Spring Break 2017)
- Wake up at 6am every day for a week.
- Wear a fashionable outfit every day for a week.
- Say yes to 5 things to which I would normally say no.
- Unsubscribe from unnecessary email lists.
- Take a significant photo every day for a month.
- Attend a live TED Talk.
- Have a t-shirt quilt made.
Give a great gift.
- Run out of business cards.
- Go to a ballet.
- Watch the sun rise in New York City.
- Watch the sun set in Los Angeles.
- Make a life-changing decision.
Inspire someone else to create their own list.(Shoutout to you, Caitlin Perryman!)
Updated: May 18, 2017
Updated: September 1, 2017